Monday, 28 May 2007
The Stomacher Project, or How to Make a Quick Pirate Wench
To set the scene, I was invited to attend a screening of "Pirates of the Carribean 3" with members of the Australian Costumers Guild (see link at sidebar) on Saturday night last. I cobbled together an outfit from skirts, a wenchy blouse and a brocadey vest which used to fit well, but alas, no longer would. So on Friday night at 8 p.m. I decided I needed a stomacher to fill the gap and look a little more "authentic" for the 1770 ish period. I looked up the period in Nancy Bradfields "Costume in Detail" and found just the thing. Next I searched the stash for some suitable fabric, discarded several, and settled on some ribbed cotton / viscose blended linen look with a fairly dense weave so the boning wouldn't poke through. I made a very rough pattern using the measurments in the book as a guide and cut out my 2 pieces. As this was a spur of the moment job, I used the "boning" material at hand in the stash, see below for details.